Altertek Ltd are seeking a highly driven Electronics Design Engineer to join the engineering team to create and support electronics design on advanced Lithium Ion battery control and monitoring systems.
- Company pension scheme.
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Free onsite parking.
- A 2-minute walk to Romsey train station with direct links to Eastleigh, Southampton and Salisbury.
- Free tea and coffee.
- Altertek operate a flexible working week based around core hours which is great for working parents, gym sessions and other hobbies and interests.
Altertek offer 28 days annual holiday including statutory bank holidays and also offer an additional 1 day’s holiday for every completed year of service up to an additional 5 days.
Position – Detailed
Altertek are currently looking to recruit a highly motivated, passionate and focused Electronics Design Engineer to be part of the engineering team at their facility based in Romsey, Hampshire, UK.
The role will be to design and develop electronic circuits for use in the monitoring and control of advanced Lithium Ion battery systems and supporting hardware.
The successful candidate will work with highly skilled likeminded people who are proactive and passionate about what they do in a company that is guided by core values, including: environmental, social, ethical and moral responsibility and integrity. As a result, we do not engage with products that cause deliberate harm to people or the environment.
As part of this company the candidate will not simply be a number. You will be involved in decision making, customer interactions and helping to create exciting products in one of the world’s fastest growing industries.
- Create and maintain hardware specifications derived from system documentation.
- Develop and design hardware solutions to meet the required specification.
- Create schematic designs and PCB layout for systems and circuits.
- Design optimisation for performance, safety and cost.
- Work in compliance with the company’s engineering design rules, development guidelines and the product development process.
- Ensure that development work adheres to the requirements of project design specifications and other supporting documentation.
- Play an active role in projects, team meetings etc. Liaise with other cross-functional team members, suppliers and other interested parties throughout projects and encourage their involvement and participation.
- Participate and where necessary lead design reviews, communicate ideas and solutions, influence decisions and problem solving.
- Test, validate and document design solutions ensuring they are robust and reliable by using relevant tools and techniques and evaluate outcomes and act as required.
- Support the creation and maintenance of technical files as new products are designed, or existing products are changed.
- Have a detailed and thorough understanding of our own products, and proactively seek to learn about competitors’ products.
- Provide technical support to other areas of the business when required.
- Design and develop new products and product improvements, balancing innovative engineering design, functional requirements and aesthetic appeal with product safety, cost effectiveness, ease of manufacture, installation and maintainability.
- Assist the commercial team in creating quotations for potential new projects.
- Provide regular reports to senior members of staff on project progress.
- Work with the Quality Manager to implement changes to the Integrated Management System to continually improve customer satisfaction and quality.
Minimum Essential Attributes
- At least 5 years’ industry experience in electronic hardware and / or system design.
- Degree educated in electronic design (or related) or long track record in related field.
- Proficient in the use of day to day software packages such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work as part of a mixed-discipline team.
- ‘Self-starter’ capable of working with minimal guidance and solving problems using available resources.
Ideal Required Attributes
- Experience in designing safety critical circuits.
- Experience in designing for EMC compliance.
- Experience in design for manufacture and to a desired cost.
- Capable of producing well thought out, maintainable and readable schematic designs.
- Ability to debug hardware issues and resolve problems.
- Ability to use standard test equipment to test hardware.
- Ability to review hardware designs.
- Experience in working within an ISO9001 environment.
- Ability to understand software and hardware integration requirements.
- Experience in embedded software design (C, C++) and software architecture design.
- Experience in circuit design using Proteus.
- Ability to assist in system requirements capture through direct communications with customers.
- Experience of CAN bus protocol.
- Experience of battery management systems.
- Experience of working to functional safety concepts (IEC 61508 / ISO 26262 etc).
- Experience of battery design.
- Experience of Lithium Ion batteries and cells.
- Experience of working with battery powered / Electric Vehicles.
- Experience of working in Subsea or Oil and Gas or Industry.
Personal attributes and behaviours
- Care about the environment and want to use your skills to create products that work towards helping the environment and improving the future.
- A strong personality to be able to deal with customers and team members in solving problems and making sound decisions when under pressure.
- Has a creative mind and ability to innovate.
- Has a high level of tenacity and drive.
- Has excellent problem-solving abilities and use of problem-solving tools and techniques.
- Has excellent organisational skills and is highly task focused and able to prioritise, whilst also being flexible.
- Is a good communicator interpersonal and relationship forming skills, able to communicate effectively and interact at all levels of the business.
- Has an excellent if not an obsessive attention to detail.
- Committed to actively improving own skills, knowledge, business awareness and performance through ongoing personal development.
- An interest in electric vehicle / renewable energy technologies.
If you are interested in this vacancy please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your application.